IPT Performance Transmissions
Performance Transmissions, high stall torque converters, shift kits and high performance transmission rebuild kits
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

a340F tranny problems!

Post subject: a340F tranny problems!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:13 pm 

hey guys new to forum hopefully you can help me out.
i have a 91 toy pickup with a a340F tranny. the truck will start off fine then around 5 mph it will buck and rpms will drop if i give it more gas it will rev kind of high. when cruising around 30 you will feel the rpms going up and down very erraticly while the bucking is occuring. a couple of time it will shudder untill i release the accelerator pedal. i figured it was the torque converter but not quite sure. i replaced both shift solenoids and lock up solenoid. fluid level is correct and nice and red. i have replaced the tps but no luck. the tv cable as also been adjusted to spec. any ideas will greatly be aprecciated.

Post subject: Re: a340F tranny problems!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:27 am 
Site Admin

toyotaoffroad91 wrote:
hey guys new to forum hopefully you can help me out.
i have a 91 toy pickup with a a340F tranny. the truck will start off fine then around 5 mph it will buck and rpms will drop if i give it more gas it will rev kind of high. when cruising around 30 you will feel the rpms going up and down very erraticly while the bucking is occuring. a couple of time it will shudder untill i release the accelerator pedal. i figured it was the torque converter but not quite sure. i replaced both shift solenoids and lock up solenoid. fluid level is correct and nice and red. i have replaced the tps but no luck. the tv cable as also been adjusted to spec. any ideas will greatly be aprecciated.

Sounds like engine performance rather than transmission but it's hard for me to diagnose without actually experiencing the complaint.

-John

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:55 am 

motor any almost everything is brand new. another symptom is when sometimes when im 4 wheeling going up a hill you can feel the tran engaging and then just reving an not going anywhere. it will jolt me foward and stop and then jolt foward again. sort of feels like someone who can't drive stick.. i just disconected my speed sensor and shifts felt alot firmer. let me clarify when cruzin around 30 it feels like the the tranny is going from 2nd to 3rd to 2nd to 3rd. i have my tps adjusted correclty also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:55 pm 

hey john i have a new diagnosis for you! hopefully you can help me...please! ill start from scratch i had a code 64 and 62 for a lockup solenoid and a shift solenoid. i replaced them with aftermarket ones made by rostra. a couple of months later the truck started shuttering on me and starting out in the wrong gears and shifting erraticly. today i unplugs the solenoid wire harness and manually shifted the truck. it ran perfect when i manual shift. i ohmed out the at the ecu connector and i got 25 ohms. specs ar 11-15 ohms. when i took the solenoids out i get 14 ohms would you know why this is caused. do you think i need to get oem toyota solenoids. i put th original solenoids back in and i got the same results in fact alitte worse. if i pull the solenoids and manual shift and everything is fine that means there is nothing mechanicly wrong with the tranny correct?? what route do you think i should go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:15 pm 

problem was the nuetral safety swith/range finder switch. i took it apart cleaned the contacts inside and went alittle tighter on the nut that keeps it together.....problem was instantly gone!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]